Parachute is an interesting alternative to Time Machine which allows you to make customized backups to local and external drives as well as FTP servers.
Parachute is very simple to use. Just select the files you want to backup and then select a target and time schedule. However, although Parachute is supposed to save your preferences for each backup, it appears that it doesn't so you have to enter the same details every time you want t perform a backup which isn't ideal.
There's also no easy way to see how scheduled backups are progressing either - it would be useful if Parachute warned you when a backup is in progress. However, in all other respects it's a decent app with a clean and clear interface and simple setup procedure.
Parachute isn't really a complete backup tool but it's better than nothing for basic backups
- This is a major update that improves the stability and provides important bug fixes.
- The update also adds some popularly requested features, including backups over FTP/SSL and full 64-bit support.
- New: Full 64-bit support
- New: Backup with FTP over SSL
- New: Fast snapshot engine
- Fixed: Crashes during backup
- Fixed: Canceling a remote task takes a long time
- Fixed: Progress bars displayed too quickly
- Fixed: Crashes during SFTP backup
- Fixed: Server and port confusing in MobileMe setup
- Fixed: Backup fails with "Failed to rename file" error
- Fixed: Crashes randomly during backups
- Fixed: Can't remove backup with locked file
- Fixed: Hangs after iDisk backup
- Fixed: Smart backups fail to delete files on second run
- Fixed: Crashes when testing connection
- Fixed: Test connection shows successful connection for invalid host